Purpose

Each week I will provide info on an independent music act who I believe deserves a listen by music lovers all over the web. Bands I have either met/seen live or acts I have discovered as a result of my late night myspace habit will be featured. Occasionally a CD review may creep into the blog, as mainstream artists put out the latest of their libraries of riffs and melodies for the world to hear. So please lend your ears and take five minutes out of your week to listen to talent individuals who sleep, eat, and breathe what they do. You may even discover a new favorite underground band...

Live, Love, Sing.

-Matt

Friday, January 8, 2010

Fields of Green/We Are The City


This week I've left my hometown of Edmonton, also known in winter as 'The Freezer' to find myself in the interior BC city of Kelowna. As of now it is 12:29 AM pacific time, and I sit in strange but such familiar surroundings while writing. The basement of an old friend where I have not been for almost three years. After being up at my cabin in Vernon for the last three days, her and her family generously agreed to let me crash for a few nights as I ventured down the valley for what will be an amazing music weekend.

The CD release of local Kelowna band Fields of Green on Saturday night at Kelowna Community Theater. 'Blanktown' will be their debut release with plans to support the album with a tour around western Canada starting in February. Now this old friend I spoke of in the first paragraph has been dating the drummer for some time now which is how I got to know him. We have spoke quite a few times, building a friendship as we share the same passion for music, and for the first time today I finally got to meet him in person.

I came across the band many months ago before I even knew there was a connection. From the first time I heard old demos that were streaming on myspace, I was a fan. Having a personal connection to Johnny now has allowed me to hear some of the CD and I tell you, PICK UP YOUR COPY! It is fantastic. Backed by Tree Fort Music, a small indie label here in Kelowna, these guys put their hearts into this record and it shows. A great variety as they include a country song on this record. I'm not a huge country guy, but I loved it. This record seriously has a mix of hooks, jams and blissful riffs and melodies. I haven't had the opportunity to meet the rest of the band yet, but I have also come across singer Kyle Tubbs' solo material quite some time ago as well. I very much look forward to spending time with these amazing musicians over the weekend as they unleash Blanktown on to the global music scene.

MP3's from Blanktown can be found on their myspace page at http://myspace.com/fieldsofgreenmusic

The disc should be on Itunes shortly as well if there is any interest in grabbing a copy for your library. You will not regret it.

www.fieldsofgreen.ca

Now for the second part of my double post for this week. Staying on topic with amazing Kelowna bands, this one blew me away when I discovered their myspace two summers ago. We Are the City is a progressive indie rock act making their mark in a huge way on the music scene. These guys recently put out their debut release titled 'In a Quiet World' and has done a lot of touring to support it. I was lucky enough to witness these guys live last time they rolled through Edmonton in the fall when they played an afternoon gig at the Empress Alehouse on Whyte. I finally got to chat with the guys in person after a year of on and off messaging on myspace. All the guys are great friends with all the members of Fields of Green so I was pumped to have the chance to hang out again this weekend. But the road calls for this trio and they will be in Port Alberni the night of the release.

To the album...In a Quiet world is an amazing collection of tunes and I don't think I can say I would skip a single song as I listen to it from front to back. One song in particular titled 'Feel Is A Word' sends me to a different place mentally as I blast my studio monitors back home as Andy's amazing floor tom riff comes blaring after the first verse. Definitely a riff to send you elsewhere among many that are featured on this incredible disc.

The Trio has been working hard and it is finally starting to pay off. In the recent past months, they band was involved in The Peak Performance Project put on by a BC radio station called..you guessed it..The Peak. The top three bands from a finalist pool of 20, after of a couple months of public voting is guaranteed $50,000. That's the third place prize money. Only to rise from there. Placements still haven't been made but man, that's a lot of money to help move along your music career. This contest has also allowed these guys to play amazing venues like their upcoming show at the Peak Performance Project Finale at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver. I'd like to take the time right now to congratulate them on this huge success.

We are the City comes through Edmonton next on February 5th to play at Brixx Bar and Grill under the Starlite room. I would strongly advise to check them out if you have a chance as it is an amazing musical experience. MP3's are streaming on their myspace at http://www.myspace.com/thecitiesmusic and the album is available on ITunes for $9.99

www.wearethecity.ca

That's all for this double post on the opening week of Actively Independent. Stay tuned for next week's artist.

Live, Love, Sing.

-Matt

1 comment: